Monday 29 October 2007

The Man Who Died is finished.



After some 80 hours of work the Man Who Died is finished.



Front Doublure and end paper.
The Doublure is the final 'lining' of leather or paper of part or the whole (edge to edge) of the insides of the boards, pasted down as a seperate piece.



Back Doublure and end paper.
The doublures and end papers are hand printed. The book is standing on top of the box which will protect it. The label is hand printed with the title Type Set (individual letters cast in a soft metal) using a bench top Adana Printing Press.



The Adana, I have five of them in three different sizes. They are wonderful, simple to use, easy to maintain, I love them.

In a few days time I am off to India to work with some bookbinders. Very exciting and a little daunting as they suffer from leprosy. I have had so many injections for a variety of exotic sounding conditions that I feel like a walking medical cabinet. By far the worst is the antimalarial course I started a few days ago. Potential side effects are innumerable including hair loss, discolouration to the skin, hallucinations and blurring or partial or complete loss of vision. Still, it is all in a day's work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, now I have another excuse for having no hair on my head, "It was the malarial shots."

A very nice book.

I, Like The View said...

what a beautiful book - the end papers are exquisite. . .

and how wonderful to see an Adana!

good luck in India - I hope you enjoy it as much as I know they will

:-)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.