Tuesday 12 April 2022

Blasts from the Past... Rats!

 

My biblionautic chums and friends.
 
Two Blasts from the past.
 
Recently I was contacted by a collector who wished for a little more information on some of my early books/books arts that he had purchaced in an auction sale.
 
Today he visited Studio 5 with the books and a small commission. Nice.
 
First is Brown Rats... Semi Limp Binding. Yes you have guessed it, bound in rat skin. The story behind this one is; Many years ago, in the mid to late 1990s my farther asked me what would be the most repugnant thing I could think of to bind a book in. I guess my first thoughts were about human skin. However, on reflection, I thought that it is not uncommon for books to be bound in human skin. There are many examples.. just do a little research dear reader. My answer to his question was... Rat Skin. Just the thought of it.... So my father went out and shot a few rats, skinned them then tawed them (make into leather without the use of tannin, by soaking them in a solution of alum and salt.) I was presented with the finished skins and a slim volume... Brown Rats. I really enjoyed the binding, we both thought the finished result was sooooo cool.
2nd is Hand and Head, a little note book, based on a mid 14th century construction, wooden boards, full leather etc. With the original blurb by myself still wrapping the text block.
 
For more details please follow the link.
 
 
 
Please further note.... there are other studios/binderies doing stuff, spelling and grammar. Please further note, the opinion of the author may change at any moment. This is due to having an open mind of sorts.
 
 









 

No comments: