Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Tempest, Leather is pared on with the colour...


Following on from the spine cleaning new linings, end bands, linen, skirting, hollow, boards etc have been added to the text block. The next thing to be done is the paring of the leather. This I do with a hand paring machine and a French (Made and bought in Japan) paring knife. I do not use a spoke shave as I feel it stretches the leather, and if I am honest... not accurate enough.

An image of a young girls face (Miranda) is applied to the front board area.



Next is some hand dying to create the tempest............

If you would like to know more about some of the techniques I use, I will be demonstrating them at this years Society of Bookbinders Conference. Please go to the SoB web site for more details....

No comments: