Wednesday 21 January 2015

A Life Lived, David Sellars, Friend, Mentor, Bookbinder, Train Lover, Hi Fi Guru etc

It is with the deepest regret that I have been informed that David Sellars past away late last night. I had the pleasure to have known David from my very earliest days in bookbinding. Later he was my mentor when I was a Licentiate of Designer Bookbinders, becoming firm friends. I held/hold him in the deepest respect for his work and commitment to his art and craft. he gave so much to so many people. As a friend he was true.
His no nonsense approach, lively wit, art and understanding of his work reflected him so well. He gave 100%.
David lived life with a never ending verve. He was honest and when asked his opinion he gave it, he never sugar coated or aimed to please.
I will miss him but I have very fond memories, amongst many, of walking over bracken clad hills of his beloved Yorkshire to discuss books, life and beer in a string of pubs.
My thoughts are with family and friends.


David, thanks mate for a life lived.


To see some of David's last work please visit the Designer Bookbinders site and look under Booker Prize.
http://www.designerbookbinders.org.uk/…/bo…/booker_2014.html

2 comments:

Acornmoon said...

A lovely tribute to one of bookbinding's greats. David was so generous with his knowledge and so patient with those who are new to the craft.

Unknown said...

A very fitting tribute. David's highly skilled, innovative contribution to the craft of bookbinding and the Book Arts is his legacy. He will be remembered for his many personal qualities;and his sad untimely passing will be a deeply felt...