Thursday 19 September 2019

Salmon Rushdie... Quichotte. Booker Binding 2019


Quichotte by Salmon Rushdie, Booker binding 2019... The end papers....... The end papers are made over-size. Once laminated to a white (Made End Paper) the end papers will be trimmed to the correct size. The paper is 130 gsm cartridge.
 
 


The end papers have been made ....... After the sections have been trimmed, I am wanting rough edges, the sections have been sewn, sections tipped on , a thin coating of PVA-Paste mix applied to the spine, rounded, backed with the first spine lining of linen adhered and allowed to dry in shape in a finishing press.
I have to say that it was not the easiest of jobs.. the sections are think and I have a feeling that there maybe an issue with grain direction.. I will check, I could be wrong.
I used my £2.50 hammer and a single screw laying press from my friend (in the flesh as it were) (https://www.facebook.com/oliveandoak/
Allowing things time to dry is crucial I feel.
I have to the 12th October to have it and a box finished and get it and myself to the awards evening at the Guildhall in the City of London. I realise it sounds a long time but in fact there is pressure. I have to read the book so many times, as a landscape artist draws inspiration from the landscape, I draw my inspiration from the text. What one has to remember is ... I will be meeting the author... The work I do will be looked at as part of the award is that all of the 6 finalists receive a hand bound designer binding of their book.

No comments: