Wednesday 22 May 2019

Mayfly endbands...

 End banding and end banding silks. Part of the palette.

 End banding... the start. A simple, single core end band.

End banding. Unlike the more traditional approach to the sewn end band... 3 white 3 red 3white etc the contemporary end band can form part of design narrative. With the colour palette I have for this book I am looking for a multi coloured or banded look. The colours will jump and flow across the end band. Threads are added and taken away, grouped and spread. I work from the front of the book with the view of the finished end band in my eye and I tie down at each section. Please note, I am aware of other end band techniques and methods of working. I am using this particular technique because it is in keeping with my current approach to contemporary bookbinding. Please also note, I am aware of other contemporary methods etc.

No comments: