Tuesday 27 October 2020

London Scenes... Work begins on the binding.

 

My biblionautic chums and friends.
 
Under the skin. Early stages of the binding.
 
A commission for a UK based Worshipful Company founded in 1528. London Scenes.
 
The Company have asked me to document all the various stages of the making of this binding...
 
A day or so ago I started work has started on the actual binding. The 3d/structure of the binding has been formed, the hinging and wrap round spine (this is where I differ from the more traditional Yamato Toji). The sky line becomes more evident as to do the proportions of the book. I feel that both the form and textures of the binding, even at this early stage are soooo architectural.
 
I am relishing the making of this particular binding, similar in some ways to an artists book I made, Egg Six Images, some years ago perhaps 15 years or so. Now in a private collection.
 
Please note there are other ways of doing things, binding styles and opinions..... spelling and grammar. Please further note, the opinion of the author may change at any moment. This is due to having an open mind... of sorts.....




 

No comments: