Tuesday 25 June 2024

Songs and Poems by Dryden.

My biblionautic chums and friends.
Yesterday, Monday, I started to free hand tool the design for Songs and Poems. Today, Tuesday, finds all the free hand tooling is finished, which is nice.
 
Stylised Staffs (I did check up on wikipedia and yes, I do donate) float across the palimpsest boards in thin drawn, almost sketched out lines of gold. 
 
The main tooling is inspired by one of the delicious illustrations, the maiden and letter. I am wanting to capture the liveliness of the illustrations. So after a little practise to warm up I got on with the job in hand. What I did not want is for the 'sketched' lines to be static or heavy and solid. Movement and freedom is the key for this style of work. 
The design concept is simple, the staffs give us the Songs and the letter the Poems. The rendering of the final design is simple, not complicated.
Sometimes, when looking at work (my own included before I start getting hate posts) and others I think 'Why?" Why so complicated? It is a if the maker has thrown every technique that have at it. Perhaps to bask in the glow of bling? or for others to go "wow look at all of that!"
Any way... Simple for Songs and Poems I think.
Again, I just thought I would share work in progress.
Please note.... there are other studios/binderies/ doing stuff, spelling and grammar. Please further note, the opinion of the author may change at any moment. This is due to having an open mind of sorts.


 

No comments: